Friday, July 18, 2008

A little more thoughtful...

This summer has been a great summer for thinking and understanding truths. They've mainly focused on the power of music to touch the soul (Tracy's iPod he got me has awakened my delight in good worship), the true meaning of being a woman (thanks to the book Captivating) and the joy of discovering God's word anew through study and Christian fiction.

Concerning music-- during the school year, I mostly crave quiet when I have a moment, but in this mostly quiet summer (after the kids are in bed, of course) and during my runs (which I started again this summer) I've discovered the joy of finding music that speaks to the particular moods of my heart. I have had great friends send me music (thanks Sarah) and I've also been exposed to some new Christian groups. For example, I just recently discovered Leeland (click on the link and you can preview their album on their site). My favorite song is "Falling for You" and it talks about falling in love with Jesus again and going back to the place where it all began. I don't think it's just about going back to your moment of salvation, but going back to places where you remember making decisions that moved you away from where you were supposed to be going and going back and making amends in your relationship with Christ. I think that is so healing because how often do we backtrack and try to fix mistakes we've made in the past in any relationship (though we should)? Our relationship with Christ is just like any other relationship and requires diligence and loving maintenance.

And the book--I really believe this book was sent from God in to my unknowing hands one late night at Wal-Mart on vacation (it found itself in the bargain bin first!). I believe I cried through almost every chapter and just wished that I could have found this book when I was a young teenage girl trying to figure out what it meant to be a woman. It has been so healing and so refreshing and has helped me see what true beauty means.

And finally, God's Word (and His Word in fictional form!)--as an avid reader, I can never escape words and their power to transform. With more time to study God's Word, I am every day amazed at how God guides seemingly unrelated devotionals, Bible passages and even fictional books to preach the same message (what are the statistics on that, I wonder?). With ears to hear, I've heard Him so clearly this summer and His message? Well, that's pretty personal. : ) But I will say that it is bathed in love and challenge and moving me past those places where I get stuck. I truly feel the verse "I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye" (Psalm 32:8) has been my verse this summer.

I'm not sure what is in my future and how this next year of school will be for me, but I know I walk in all that is ahead of me with a sense of God's leading presence and an assurance that He can talk to me through various mediums as long as I have ears to hear!

No comments: